Republicans Fail. Democrats Flail.
Howard Fineman writes a dead-on story about the problems with the Democratic leadership. They have a perfect opportunity now to frame their party as the stewards of a new way, and yet they can’t seem to get it together.
Here are some reasons:
- Supreme divisions: John Roberts smooth sailing through the nomination process.
- Lack of star power: Rudy, Arnold, McCain and Condi vs. Reid, Pelosi, Dean and Kerry. Enough said.
- Hillary love and fear: she is the heir apparent with a seemingly moderate vision, but most Dem insiders speak ill of her chances in 2008.
- A house divided: the SEIU’s departure from the AFL-CIO hits a Dem stronghold hard.
- War waffling: they can’t stand up for their votes and now they’re meeting with Sheehan?
- Missed opportunities: Rovegate, the morning-after pill, Social Security…all potential issues and none captialized on.
- Vision and passion: where is it? Nobody knows.
Read the rest of the story from MSNBC.